One-Dish Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: 50
Cook Time: 49
The ultimate comfort food is a pot pie. Making one from scratch doesn’t have to be a lot of work if you use Simply Potatoes®.
Products Near You
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Crystal Farms; Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter; cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts; cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery; sliced
- 1 package Simply Potatoes; Red Potato Wedges; cut larger pieces in half crosswise
- 1 bag (1 pound) frozen mixed vegetables; thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Heat oven to 400 deg F. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. For pastry topping combine flour, cheese and salt in medium bowl. With pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in water, a little at a time, until mixture starts to form a ball. Using hands, knead together dough until it is well blended. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add chicken, onion and celery. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink. Add Simply Potatoes and vegetables. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in 2 quart saucepan melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour; cook on low heat 1 minute. Slowly add chicken broth, using a wire whisk, whisking until mixture is smooth. Add half and half. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Pour over chicken mixture; mix well. Pour chicken mixture into prepared 13x9-inch baking dish.
- On lightly floured surface roll out chilled dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Place dough over chicken filling, crimpy edges around sides of pan to secure dough over filling. With sharp knife cut three large slits through top of crust for venting. Place baking dish on top of 15x10x1-inch baking pan (second pan helps prevent spills in oven during baking).
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and edges are bubbling. Cover crust with aluminum foil during baking if it browns too quickly.