Crispy Creamy Potato Pancakes
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 45
Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. This savory alternative to traditional pancakes is perfect for buffet style brunches with a variety of fun toppings to please everyone.
Products Near You
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 package (24 oz) Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsps crème fraiche
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsps butter for frying, divided
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat and add onions. Sauté for three minutes then remove from heat and cool. The same pan will be used to fry the potato pancakes.
- In a large bowl, mix cooled sautéed onions, Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes, eggs, cheese and crème Fraiche.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and baking powder. Mix dry into the potato mixture.
- Mix thoroughly then chill the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250° F to keep batches of the potato pancakes warm.
- In the same pan you cooked the onions, heat to just shy of medium high. The temperature should be hotter than medium but not full medium high.
- Place half the butter and half the oil in the pan and once hot, using an ice cream scoop, scoop out four scoops of the potato mixture into the hot fat. Then gently pat the tops to make a disc about ¾ inch thick.
- Cook for two to three minutes until browned, then flip and cook for another two to three minutes.
- Remove to a sheet pan and hold in the oven.
- Repeat two more times using the remaining butter and oil as needed to fry the second two batches.
- Serve hot with smoked salmon, hard cooked eggs, capers, red onion, crème Fraiche, lemon wedges and fresh dill. Or with your choice of toppings.